Thursday, February 21, 2008

A couple of things...

1. Jess and I went to see Jumper at the matinee last weekend. In the middle of the movie, I look over, we're right next to the aisle, and I see a woman leaning over something on the floor, then I hear this comment, "Is he drunk?" I realized there is a man down in the aisle and his friend and this woman are trying to get him to stand up and he was just limp. I didn't have my cell phone so I asked Jess if she had hers, but she didn't hear me as she was busy watching this as well. So after a few seconds, I jumped up and ran out to inform the ushers that someone needed to call 911, I believe my exact words, in my hurried, frenzied, adrenaline-ridden response was something to the effect of, "There's a man passed out in Jumper, someone needs to call a...a...doctor." I went back to the theater only to find the man, who was probably a college student, being carried out the door by 4 people - and Jess was one of them. My immediate thoughts were, "That looks awkward....somebody, quick! Help my sister!" The guy appeared to be completly passed out, his body dead weight, and I saw Jess's effort to carry him safely, plus she's still recovering from her surgery! She shouldn't have to be the one to carry this guy away. Anyway, they lay him down in the hallway, the woman from the aisle, who wasn't with these guys, was trying to get his attention, get his circulation & breathing steady - it was pretty sluggish. We're standing there watching this, and my legs were just trembling, I assume it was the adrenaline. I've never seen someone really passed out before. After a few minutes, he slowly opened his eyes. His friends said he'd been sick, had the flu or bronchitis for the last few days, had taken some Nyquil, but as far as they knew, wasn't on drugs or alcohol.

So Jess and I went back to watch the rest of the movie - about 25 more minutes. I don't know if they took him away in an ambulance, why he passed out, or if he's okay. All I know is the hallway was empty when the movie ended. So Jordan, I hope that you are okay, I'm glad we were there to help you out, and I'd hope that other people in a similar situation would react the same as these women and my sister - there's nothing like the kindness & concern of strangers. I'm thankful to have played a role, no matter how small.

2. I went to an Ultimate Fighting match last night in WDM. I was actually kind of nervous going - I've heard about them, know of a friend who's actually fought in one, and just was not sure what I was going to encounter. I'm thinking of all the fighting movies I've seen, was picturing blood splurting...and stuff. Well, thankfully, the blood splurting was minimal - only occurred once when a guy got a bloody lip and kept fighting. Some were over in mere seconds, others lasted 2 rounds. Each time I became more and more amazed at the sport of it. I'm thinking, how can these guys go to town kicking & hitting each other, one finally winning, and both able to shake hands and pat each other on the back. I mean, you just got the crap kicked out of you and you're all buddy-buddy now? Maybe that's just the competitive, sore-loser side of me. I have a feeling though that for those guys, it's about the sport, not that they actually want to beat each other up in anger. It's just such a weird situation - guys beating each other up & willingly putting themselves in the situation to take it. Crazy......but is it bad that I really enjoyed watching it?

No comments:

Post a Comment