Thursday, October 30, 2008

I've been Tagged! (by Kelli)

1. I hate being dirty. As a child, that's one of the great enjoyments - playing in the dirt, rolling in the grass getting grass stains, playing in the sandbox, sliding into second base during softball. But as an adult, I hate to sit on the ground, I hate getting stains/dirt on my clothes (or hands, face, etc.) but I think it's more because I don't do laundry all that often! I am a re-wearer, of most things. I tend to have one or 2 pair of jeans that I wear all the time, and will rewear until it's time to do laundry - which is usually every 2-3 weeks. For this reason, if I get "dirty", everyone will KNOW I'm re-wearing that same pair of jeans, that same sweatshirt, etc. And that's supposed to be my little secret. But when I do just take a moment, give into inhibitions, it's usually freeing and a lot of fun - example from this summer: the mud fight on the river during the high school tubing trip. I was ticked at first from all the mud splattering on my shorts & tank top, until Alycia came up from behind and smeared mud down the side of my face! After that, I gave in and it was all-out war with all the students - and it was a lot of fun - and the mud washed out of my clothes! (I didn't rewear this time ;) )

2. These are supposed to be random, and most people know this - but I still think it's a little weird. I am increasingly afraid of spiders and bugs w/ multiple long legs. And by afraid and increasingly, I mean that when I was in high school living in my basement bedroom, I'd kill spiders all the time - on my floors, on the walls, in the corners. But after a while, an aversion built up, I got sick of killing them, and moved back upstairs. Last year, I had an encounter in my bathtub while cleaning - met my match, so to speak :) I was home alone, no dad or brother-in-law to kill the massive spider (with thick, brown, hairy legs) on the curved ledge of my bathtub, and literally started to hyperventilate. I was crying, shaking, on the verge of a panic attack, and eventually resorted to torching the poor spider (not poor!) with a lighter! Since then, anytime I encounter a creature, my heart rate kicks into double time, I get really warm, and have to motivate/pep talk myself into being able to kill it. (I did resort to calling my dad over to my apartment once because I just couldn't do it! But since then, I've mustered up the courage!)

3. I'm a quality time person. I like being with people, doing things together. But I realized I'm really bad at asking good questions. I've heard it's a skill, and I don't think it's one I have. Small talk (for the purpose of small talk) makes me really uncomfortable. I hate "mingling" among a large crowd. I think that's why I'm more comfortable at home, or at a friend's house, rather than going out somewhere public. I don't like the social expectation that you should stop to talk to someone you know but aren't really friends with, because it's the "polite" thing to do. I think if I was better at asking questions, I might not dislike it as much.

4. I realized that I don't like sports. I haven't gone to a football game until last night since 2003 and I realized why - I get bored/distracted too easily. (With the exception of the Olympics! I set aside whatever else is going on for those 2 weeks and watch diligently!) But I LOVE games - card games, board games, any game that gets a group of people together and interacting. I just love being with people. And I'm uber-competitive (and a sore loser!). That's why Kelli & Marcus won't play Risk with me ever again....I'm hoping someday they'll give me another chance, I'm trying to be a more graceful loser!

5. I over-analyze. Everything and anything. I think it stems from my issue with control - I want to be prepared in all things, have an answer for all questions, be prepared for any situation. In work, in relationships, in friendships, in life decisions. It's something I struggle with constantly - I have a hard time making my own decisions for this reason.

6. I love me an ice cold Mountain Dew or Code Red. I go through phases where I try to give up pop, or try to eat healthier. But I'm a junk food junkie. I don't think I could realistically ever give up chocolate or pop completely. I've tried. I've done it for short periods of time. But I always come back. [Random side note - I've heard more radio & tv ads this year encouraging "healthy alternatives" to Halloween candy - pencils, small gifts/toys (like tiny containers of Play-doh)! I know it's bad to have so many sweets, but isn't that the point of Trick-or-Treating??]

7. I have 2 tattoos. I like to smoke a cigar once a year or so. I like fruity alcoholic drinks. Sometimes a swear word crosses my lips (usually only when confronted w/ a spider/centipede, pitching in softball, trying to play golf, or when I get suddenly scared or startled). I used to think these things were bad, sinful even. But through study, grace, and the Word, I've learned that God looks to the heart of a man - are these things idols in our life? Do we indulge in them, put them above our love for God? Are we taking part in these things out of a rebellious spirit or out of the freedom given in this life to enjoy these things? I'm thankful for lessons I've learned, for grace extended, and for freedom to love God and enjoy the things He's given us here on earth.

Now I'm tagging:

Lindsay
RuthAnn
Annie
Christina
Joni/Derek

Amy

Eli

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just found your blog. Haha, it's funny you like girly drinks because...well, actually that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so cute!! I loved reading all your random facts, I could picture you right next to me telling me all those things, and I laughed out loud at times.. oh the memories! I love you girl.. and I love your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete